Here I am!

I am a white, working-class, female, able-bodied waitress from New York. I have two BA's in Gender and Women's Studies and Political Psychology. I have had the privilege to travel all over the world from India to Canada. Some inspiration came to me recently to start a blog about my next adventure in Ecuador, so here it is!! Enjoy!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Today's the Day!

I'm sitting in an airport in Miami sharing a precious outlet with some stranger. Everybody in this airport speaks Spanish. It makes me think about how much I will miss speaking my native language and the ease of expressing myself without constantly having to think about conjugating my next word! There are so many unknowns in this trip and this is the longest I've ever been away from home. I don't know where I'm staying, if I'll be able to contact my family and friends, how I'm going to live up to the expectations this organization has for me...

Coming from a person who believes in signs and destiny, the alarm in the airport just went off. Not sure how I should read into that one! I was sitting on the plane here trying to figure out how I came to the point I am in life today. At first I traced it back to me telling my Dad that I wanted to go abroad on an internship or volunteer. Then I thought, I never would have asked him that had I not traveled as a student every year. Further,who knows if I would haver studied abroad had my Dad not taken me abroad before college! After tracing it all back as far as the day of my birth (and beyond), I decided that this is my destiny right now. That must be why I'm not feeling nerves or anxiety creep in. In fact, I feel I am exactly where I need to be and cannot wait to see what happens next!

Adios amigos! La proxima post voy a estar de Quito! Besos!

3 comments: