Here I am!

I am a white, working-class, female, able-bodied waitress from New York. I have two BA's in Gender and Women's Studies and Political Psychology. I have had the privilege to travel all over the world from India to Canada. Some inspiration came to me recently to start a blog about my next adventure in Ecuador, so here it is!! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jungle Mamas

Tomorrow will mark the one month mark of my stay so far in Quito, Ecuador...
Still haven't found a stable place to live, but I have a job which I love so far and have started creating my own network of friends. The social scene here is so much different than what I am used to. On the streets everyone seems pretty cold and distant, but once you open yourself up it is one of the most welcoming places I have ever been. For example, I went to see an apartment two days ago, and after seeing the place the woman invited me to a party at her house. It was strange...but nice.

My favorite part of my job is working with the program- Jungle Mama's. I just finished translating the new methodology of JM and I am so impressed. There is a workshop coming up this month which will mark the first time a birthing work shop will be taught by members of the Achuar community- it's a big deal. These are the moments that make all of the boring budgeting, accounting, and translating worth while.  I would say that the overall methodology of JM is that the knowledge is within the community and the workshops are to help guide people to it. One of my favorite parts of the workshop is the end. The facilitator asks the participants if they would like information about birth control methods. If the participants say no, the workshop ends there, but if they say  yes they are educated on condom use, vasectomy, oral contraceptives, and all kinds of other contraception. This is a very taboo subject in the Achuar culture, so I really love the delicacy with which this subject is handled.

Jungle Mama's is an incredible program which I feel so lucky to be involved in. When I first started I found it really boring to be honest. I loved the mission of the program but I felt like I was doing nothing except sitting in front of my computer all day. That's when I realized how I've romanticized activism! I was expecting front-lines work, ignoring all of the work that has to happen before that. I would say at least 80% of activism is research, writing, and spreading knowledge- very infrequently is there a chance to do grand marches and sit-ins. Those moments are great, but there has to be a great appreciation for the work that happens behind the scenes as well. I know with patience, I will be on the front lines soon!

3 comments:

  1. very cool...

    all that behind the scene work is part of what makes the big event go off so well and is quite rewarding once its understood the value of it.

    Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all that you do, Jenna!!! You're amazing. Please know that the entire Kakaram Nua is with you always.
    I send lots of love and big hugs, Trea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can you write more about this for the newsletter. I want to get the campus to do a feature on YOU!
    So excited about what you are learning!

    ReplyDelete