Here I am!

I am a white, working-class, female, able-bodied waitress from New York. I have two BA's in Gender and Women's Studies and Political Psychology. I have had the privilege to travel all over the world from India to Canada. Some inspiration came to me recently to start a blog about my next adventure in Ecuador, so here it is!! Enjoy!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Getting Prepared

There is so much to do and think about before traveling to another country. Doctors appointments, shots, travel documents....I'm starting to get a stomach ache already. I just got back from Canada's largest gathering of women in the history of their country- Women's Worlds 2011 in Ottawa! It was truly incredible. I was able to meet women from all across the globe. Most moving for me was meeting a women who was deaf from Uganda, Florence, and her interpreter, Olivia. Incredible obstacles were overcome for them to make it across the ocean to speak about women's issues in Uganda...and they touched on so much more than that.

The most amazing part of the whole trip for me was the final dance party after the closing ceremony. All of the women gathered together to see the different musical performers on the front lawn of Ottawa University. As we all breathed a sigh of relief that we finally had a moment to freely enjoy ourselves after intense plenary and concurrent sessions, everyone began to unwind and dance! It was the embodiment of Women's World as the women from across the globe joined hands and moved to the modern beats coming out of the DJ booth! Safe spaces, in that moment we were all equal. Race, class, religion, body types...there was no hierarchy in our movement and everyone was all smiles!

I will take these mental pictures with me in my next trip to keep me grounded as I travel to one of the most untouched and remote regions of the world- the Amazon. I am scared, excited, anxious, and absolutely unprepared for what happens next. But that's the fun part....right?

No comments:

Post a Comment