Here I am!

I am a white, working-class, female, able-bodied waitress from New York. I have two BA's in Gender and Women's Studies and Political Psychology. I have had the privilege to travel all over the world from India to Canada. Some inspiration came to me recently to start a blog about my next adventure in Ecuador, so here it is!! Enjoy!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

National Coming Out Day

Haaaaay, today is "National Coming Out Day." So for all of you that already came out this year, kudos you early bird!

National Coming Out Day is an act of solidarity in the GLBT community to show that those who are "in" are not alone and have the support of their fellow "out-ers." But when I really think about it, it seems like a lot of pressure on the "in-ers." What if they are not ready to come "out"? Can we blame them, it is pretty damn scary "out" there.

I have always maintained the frame of mind that it is nobody's business who I am interested in, so in that sense this day leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What would happen if a heterosexual person sat their friends and family down, and with that years-of-anguishing-over-this-moment look in her/his eye says "loved ones, I can't hold it in any longer. I am sick of hiding. Mom. Dad. I am heterosexual." Could you imagine that reaction?? Most likely it would be followed by laughter and a few thank-god-that-wasn't-anything-serious look exchanges. I look forward to the day when someone come's "out" and nobody bats an eye and responds with a resounding "SO WHAT!"

The "in" vs. "out" dynamic never really sat well with me either. Where did that phrase come from, and how did I end up in this metaphorical closet? If I step out, am I "out" to everyone or can I step back "in" if I want?    Can I leave my right foot in, take my right foot out, put my right foot in and then shake it all about? This dynamic, in my opinion, stresses out the "in" crowd. It's like I haven't reached my full potential gay until I have proclaimed it to the world. The hetero's have the privilege of never being "in" since everyone "just knows", why does the GLBT community have to step out and be put into that vulnerable and often uncomfortable position when it is nunya' (nunya goddamn business!).

No comments:

Post a Comment