Here I am!

I am a white, working-class, female, able-bodied waitress from New York. I have two BA's in Gender and Women's Studies and Political Psychology. I have had the privilege to travel all over the world from India to Canada. Some inspiration came to me recently to start a blog about my next adventure in Ecuador, so here it is!! Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week of Adrenaline...

I think I had the most interesting week ever this past week. It all began when I got held up by a guy on the street. Overall, I'm actually kind of proud of how I handled the whole situation...I think. Once I realized the guy had no knife or gun it was a lot easier to be confident, even after he decided his weapon would be a piece of cement rock.  End of the story, he didn't get anything out of me. What ensued after that night was what was really painful...

The next day I explained what happened to my boss at the hotel, and he decided he was going to teach me how to defend myself with his martial artist "expertise." He explained to me that I can actually defend myself with as little as a rolled up magazine. A hit to the eye and to the groin is all I need to do...as he then showed me how to do- a little more 'hands-on' than I would have liked and he ended up hitting me right in the eye with the corner of the magazine. I ended up in the doctor 4 days in a row with a cut across my cornea and a choice between a contact or an eye-patch...wonderful. Apparantly a magazine is a great weapon-- at least against a small white girl in a hotel library! A glue-sniffing ladrone--not sure how well a magazine will work, I wouldn't recommend it.

During all of this mess my best friend came to visit for a week, which was awesome! We went all around Quito doing her Christmas shopping, checking in the sites, and almost getting robbed. To be fair, there were signs warning tourists "robbery zone," but I couldn't help it-- I mean, what robbers go to a "robbery zone" to rob people? I imagined they would try to be a little more discreet than that! But lo and behold, the sign held true and if a policeman didn't step out of a building at the time we did, we may have been cut.

After Quito we went to Banos where we did all kinds of fun activities- rafting, biking, hiking through waterfalls, zip lining...unfortunately we both ended up getting tag-team sick. She was sick for about a day and a half, I ended up being sick for about 3 or 4 days. We still had a great time though and fit in just about everything we wanted to do.

Looking forward to November, where I have a 3 day vacation from work for the Saints day Nov 1, Day of the Dead Nov 2, and Cuenca Independence day Nov 3. Going to be a good month =)

No comments:

Post a Comment